Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Don't Google.... Goodsearch!!!

Not really a blog post, but just something that I love and think is a great idea and wanted to share. I learned about the website Goodsearch.com four or five years ago from Reader's Digest. There was an article on ways to give back, and this was the one that stuck in my mind the most because it is soooo simple and is a part of your daily life anyway, and can really do some good.

Goodsearch is basically a search engine, powered by Yahoo! and shows all the same results as a Yahoo! search would, so it's really thorough. The difference is that every time you search, you're making money for charity. All the advertising money on the website (like the sponsored results and the banner ads along the tops) goes straight to charity, instead of to Yahoo! or Google. Like I said, it was a few years ago so I don't remember all the details, but I think that money is donated for every search you make, every search result you click on, etc.

The part I like the best is that you can choose what charity to Goodsearch for, and there are TONS! When I lived in Lawrence I volunteered at the Lawrence Humane Society and saw firsthand how bad they could use some donations, so it was awesome that I was able to help contribute without having to give away some of my extremely meager student loans that I was living on. There's always a Charity of the Day that's highlighted, and if I remember correctly that charity gets all the proceeds of any searches made that day when a charity isn't specificed by the user. And not that it matters, but it also shows "Who's Goodsearching" and tells you some celebrities that Goodsearch and for what charity, as well as businesses that work with/donate to Goodsearch.... make me feel a little bit better about spending my money if I'm shopping with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment