Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Kicking the semester off right

So (surprise, surprise), 8 days into the semester, and I no longer have a perfect attendance record. I know that sounds pretty typical for me (based on the fact that I maybe, at best, had a 50% attendance rate last year), but Absence #1 happened a lot quicker than I expected it to. Whereas KU didn’t have an attendance policy, UMKC has a very strict one, where attendance is taken every day and after a few absences your grade is automatically lowered.

But it wasn’t really my fault, well…. Sort of. I only have 1 class on Monday afternoons and had been getting a bunch of stuff done around the house all day. It wasn’t until I left the house to go to school that I realized my gas tank was on empty. For those of you who don’t know, I live North of the river (approx. 435 and 152) and it takes me about 20-25 minutes to get to school. So trying to make it to school on empty wasn’t really an option. And after I leave the neighborhood (once I wind my way out past the farms), it’s all highway driving until I get downtown. And of course, it just so happens that there honestly aren’t any gas stations off the highway until probably about half way to downtown. I might have been able to make it that far, but I really had no idea and I wasn’t in the mood to be sitting on the side of the road, waiting for a cranky boyfriend (who was at home sleeping) to come bring me gas.

So I used my trusty Sprint Navigation app on my phone and it said the closest gas station (5.2 miles away) was the QT on North Oak, completely out of the way. So I speed there, fill up, and while I’m waiting for my gas to pump I again use my trusty Sprint app to see if there’s a quicker way to get downtown than retracing my steps. It told me to take 169 South and wind my way downtown, which I did. (I still have no idea if that was faster, or if I should have just backtracked and taken my usual route.)

I pull up to campus and it’s 2:28. Class starts at 2:30. As Molly can tell you, parking is not always easy. There’s a lot where I have a permit, and a church lot (where Lauren and Chris Dawson got married), one on each side of the law school. After stressing out for a minute about which one to go for (Left for permit lot, Right for church), I put my faith in God and head to church. God rewarded me with 1 single, empty spot in the back corner.

But by this time it’s 2:31. Now, I absolutely HATE walking into class after it’s started. Kinda weird considering I have no problem not going to class, but if I have to walk in late my face gets bright red, my heart starts beating fast, and I know everyone’s staring at me, which then causes me to curse myself for not choosing my outfits more carefully. And especially a class like this: only about 12-15 people, tables set up in a U and I have to squeeze behind everyone to get to my seat. So I sit in the car, thinking about all this for another 30 seconds, and decide not to go. After all that stress, all those potential speeding tickets, and wasting a favor from God, and I don’t even go to class.
Story of my life. At least I made it to that class today. But then again, I just spent the entire class writing this blog……. Whoops.

No comments:

Post a Comment